EDIT as at July 22, 2014: I did a quick and dirty update to get this working, but it still needs to be cleaned up. The issue was the AO3 (finally) got rid of presentational HTML classes and started using proper CSS techniques to style the fandoms pages. I was using the .odd and .even classes in my script because they were just so handy. That'll teach me.
So, I wanted to get back into coding after a summer of mostly gardening, and I was not really feeling the Ruby love. I'm a bit stalled mentally on the project in the course I'm doing, so I'll work on it some other time.
again too, and the very first story I read had that annoying thing where every other paragraph was empty so the effective paragraph margin was doubled.
I knocked off a quick and dirty way to fix that, and I'm now working on making it a little less dirty.
Next, I took on the fandoms pages. Their long lists of fandoms in alphabetical order and when browsing, they are dominated by scores of fandoms with only 1 or 2 works. Yuletide legacy, I would guess. So, I could see the attraction of changing the sort order to numerical to find possible things to read with lots of stories.
And you don't have to read the code or my notes on it at all. To try out the bookmarklet go to The AO3 section on my GitHub page
. If you want to read the code etc., keep on reading right here.( Read more... )